Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Winter Subassembly Projects


The overhead fresh air plenum is all set to go and the lights even work. It has four lights with individual switches and 4 air vents. It took me a while to fit these as I had to cut the flanges of the air vents where they meet each other to make them fit.

You can see the small bits of dowel that will hold the interior trim panel. I am using MVA81, a super strong rigid Velcro that makes a really strong bond. I epoxy one side to the dowels and the other to the trim panels.

The doors took a while, but I wanted them to look perfect. It's one of the things I always check out on other Velocities at Oshkosh.


This is what it looked like right before upholstery,....and right after. I am very pleased with the way they turned out.

My interior guy strongly recommended a final fitting after foam padding was applied, but before the expensive leather. We did have to make a few minor changes, so it was a good idea. The leather guy at Oshkosh had great prices and I brought home 3 full hides in my carry on. It weighed something like 60 pounds, so I couldn't check it and just tried to look nonchalant as I dragged it onto the plane.


Like Andy Millin says, she never should have let me buy that buffing wheel at Oshkosh. If you keep at it, you can really put a shine on the plain aluminum seat hardware. It's oddly satisfying.

Next I decided to do the seats for a change of pace. First, I got all the seat pans trimmed up and ready. The hard points and mounts were glassed into the fuselage.

Fuzzy the cat checks out the finished product. (Don't blame me, the kids named him)


This is a headset jack and power panel for the aft end of the keel. You can buy the rough piece from the factory and get the power points on line. It ends up looking pretty slick but was a lot of work.

The sump tank is sealed and ready for mounting flanges. CAUTION:
The manual calls for the fittings on the front of the tank. On the RG XL they likely won't give you clearance for the gear to pass them. I called the factory and got " Oh yeah, we keep meaning to correct that in the manual. Just cap those and install them on top of the tank." there is awasted couple of hours.

The overhead panel has micro eyeball lights and switches. It just needs mag switches and starter switch.

When winter came along and the garage got cold, I moved operations down to the heated workshop in the basement. It was time to do any project I could get into the smaller workshop.

These are mounting brackets for the Weldon fuel pump and the filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment