Tuesday, March 30, 2010

b is for Box... or 650B.

Another day. Another bike. Matt's bike this time:

This little gem is a Scott Reflex 40 that I picked up on a trade with Brad Bacon @ Alger Cyclery. I swapped a pair of custom coated blue argyle Cliff Hanger rims (currently residing on B-Rad's beach cruiser) as an even trade for this 26" bike. As traded it came with a rear cassette wheel and derailleur that I promptly removed and tossed in the parts bin. The current drivetrain consists of an FSA V-Drive 180mm crankset to a Shimano single cog in the rear, made possible by the fantastic Surly Singulator. I built the Blunt Pro wheels before the era of the Velocity Single Speed ATB Disc hub, so what you see here is the equally drool-worthy Lightweight ATB disc hub, spaced out for single speed use.

Since the frame is on the small side for me, I decided to cram 650b wheels into the drops. I was a bit concerned about tire clearance, or lack thereof, but after a half dozen rides, these hand built beauties are still straight as an arrow. This is especially impressive considering that I am a self proclaimed amateur ATBer and I've been slamming into sh!t left and right! The increased wheel size just barely clears the frame and fork using Pacenti Neomoto and Quasimoto tires in the front and rear respectively. The fork and front end is mainly stock, but the non conventional wheel size forced my hand into XT hydraulic discs (aww shucks). The brakes were installed, routed and bled by Dan Koert, then of Ada Bike Shop. The seat post is a Ritchey and the saddle is a Fi'zi:k Gobi XM that fit the aesthetic way to well to not try out. I'm glad I did...Wing Flex + Tail Flex = seriously easy on the cheeks. The only thing I plan on upgrading is the headset, which I continually find out of adjustment after long climbs. Gripit & Ripit!

No comments:

Post a Comment