Tuesday, March 9, 2010

JACOBI's iver JOHNSON

Today is a good day. If you like stories that is... our resident storyteller Jeff Jacobi is up for this weeks '...because we ride'. It's important to note that not only are you in for a treat with what can only be considered an instant classic short story but also more pictures were taken for this post to get 'just the right' shot of the Iver Johnson.

Enjoy your Tuesday...

'Well, my passion for classic and everything old started at my first real bike shop job, Chicago Drive Schwinn, where I learned to restore old Stingrays in the winter with my boss Ed. Ed is a real perfectionist and when it came to his collection, after all the work was done they were often displayed. I learned a lot about the history of the bike and we were the shop to come to because of the vast amount of knowledge that had been passed down from the owner Everett Sr.

I eventually moved on to a shop across town called Alger Schwinn. It was there that I came across my treasure...

One day picking up and cleaning the basement, I happen to look behind the boiler and there it was; undisturbed for no one to notice except for a trained eye. It was a frame and a drivetrain. It looked old! So without hesitation I pulled it out to see what it was. Wow, to my surprise a perfectly straight partially stripped frame that looked to be from the 1920's. Sure enough, I respectfully brought it to the owners attention and offered him cold hard cash. He took the cash, a steal if I say so myself.

So here she is, my race ready 1920's, Iver Johnson. This bike has brought me so much joy. It is a fully working bike from a time gone by. Every time I ride it, I think of the rides it may have taken. I personally feel I have restored it to represent its vintage and made it retain its history. Its not all original but you would have to be as big of a nerd as me to know the difference. You can see it in action later this month at the Barry-Roubaix. This will be the second year for it to complete. She's the fastest bike downhill because of it's 30 lbs. of inertia.

Spec's :: All Vintage Parts
Nothing is new except the 27" Tires

* Turned over and chopped cruiser bars
* Cut and trimmed Brooks B17
* 2 piece Iver Johnson cranks [original]
* 27" steel wheels/New Departure coaster brake
* Paint/none. Vintage pitina
* 1940's cruiser pedals with Vintage Schwinn straps [rusty]
* not original fork. the original was unsafe but the new fork is from a vintage road bike painted flat black
* 27" x 1 3/8" knobby tires. [new] You've got to trust your tires.'

No comments:

Post a Comment