Saturday, April 24, 2010

WOD

Freddy Camacho SFPD SWAT team member and CrossFit Oneworld owner and general bad ass maintains an excellent blog and talks SENSE this is an extract from a recent post. Add his blog to your favourites!!


Some people just love long distance running. Yuck! I can kind of understand why. On the rare occasions I have ran more than 5 miles, I sometimes see why someone might enjoy it. Put your headphones on and turn the rest of the world off. You have those "moments of clarity." In a few miles of running I can come up with a whole new "life plan" and solve all the world's problems. Unfortunately, the moment I finish running, I realize I have forgotten anything and everything that I was thinking about... Plus, usually when I am done running I have aches and pains that I don't enjoy. I know this likely has a lot to do with footwear and running technique. I just don't run long distances enough to care about dialing in my long distance technique.
One thing that always miffs me when it comes to running.... Why the fascination with the marathon? 26 miles.... I don't even like to drive 26 miles! In the last four years of being a CrossFit trainer, I can't even put a number on how many times I asked a new member or potential new member what their fitness goal was and they told me me that their goal is to run a marathon. I have especially heard this goal from people who are just getting into working out after not doing any type of training for quite some time (if ever).
The marathon...the gold standard for fitness? Anyone with a set of somewhat healthy limbs and a bit of training can run a marathon. We are actually built to travel long distances on foot. Our ancestors did it all the time. I am not taking away from the accomplishment of completeing a marathon, I just don't think it should be held in such high esteem as a fitness standard. A marathon is not a measure of being "fit." If a marathon is your goal, than go for it! Just remember that a long run is only a thin slice of the pie that is being "fit and healthy." You can run a marathon and
still be unhealthy. The constant pounding on the joints, the loss and/or lack of muscle mass. Some doctors even say that the stress on the heart during the actual marathon race negates any positive gains to a healthy heart made during training.
Many people say that when it comes to running, the short distance runners are the fit ones. We're talking the 100/200/400/800 meter distance guys. You be the judge:

Week 2 of the 531 Strength Cycle
Squat 3-3-3+
Check your spreadsheet for your working percentages.

Met Con:
5 Rounds For Time:
10 Push Press
10 Box Jumps
10 Ball Slams

Post number of reps for last set (3+) of Squat and time to comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment