Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hell of the MIDwest.

In what might rival JBolt's write up last week, Matt has our next installment, with links and videos and all, for our '...because we ride' series. Enjoy.



Sometimes you have to ride fast. Really fast…really really really fast. That’s what this bike is for.

My fast bike is a Schwinn Circuit - built in Greenville, Mississippi in December of 1989. This is the one that got me hooked. This is the one that got me going 40+ mph. It was on this bike, that I first cried while cycling. Not because I was sad, not because I was elated, but because I was going so damn fast that the wind pierced my eyeballs until they welled up with tears. I’ll never forget that feeling. I’ve had more saddle time on this bike than any other in my stable, by far. By FAR. We’ve been through a lot together.

Epic 150 mile beer runs.

Bleeding lung mash fests with the Founders guys.

Leisurely strolls around Reeds Lake.

Alleycats, with gears, for the win.

Here’s how it’s put together:

Headset: Shimano 105 1” Threaded

Brakes: Shimano R600 with Kool Stop pads

Stem: Profile H20

Bars: Deda 215 wrapped with Cinelli Volee tape

Shifters: Ultegra ST-6510, nine speed

Derailleurs: Shimano Ultegra 6500 front, 6600 rear

Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-23

Crank: SRAM Red 53/39

BB: SRAM Red Ceramic

Chain: Shimano Dura Ace 7701

Pedals: Crank Brothers Quattro SL

Seatpost: Thompson Elite

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo re-release

Electronics: Shimano Flight Deck (awesome)

Hydration: Velocity OG Velocage, bright silver

Wheels: Velocity A23 Prototype 24/32. Radial front, radial non drive rear, two cross drive rear.

These are the finest road wheels I’ve ever had the pleasure of “rocking”. They replaced a set of 60mm carbon tubulars and I don’t miss them. They roll just as smooth and they’re almost as good at cutting wind. I’m using Hutchinson Fusion 2, 23c tires filled to 90 psi front, 85 psi rear. I’m in love with this setup. I can’t properly express in words how amazing they feel. They make me want to ride more. They’ve made me a better rider. I’ve never been more emotional about a set of wheels and I’m not ashamed to tell you about it. Get yourself a pair and your life will get better.


All totaled this rig is a hair over 22 lbs. Twenty two pounds of cycling bliss. Twenty two pounds of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment